Sitemap Close
My SCRD Online


Local government elections in British Columbia are held every four years. The last election was held on October 20, 2018 with advance voting opportunities on October 10 and 17. Within the Sunshine Coast Regional District (SCRD), voters in each Electoral Area choose one Director to serve on the SCRD Board. Ballots for School Trustees (Trustee Electoral Areas 1 - Upper and 3 - Lower) and for Local Trustees for the Gambier Island Local Trust Area are made available at SCRD voting places where applicable.

2018 election results

The Official Election Results have been declared by the Chief Election Officer as follows:

Electoral Area A - Egmont Pender Harbour - Leonard Lee elected
Electoral Area B - Halfmoon Bay -  Lori Pratt elected by acclamation
Electoral Area D - Roberts Creek - Andreas Tize elected
Electoral Area E - Elphinstone - Donna McMahon elected
Electoral Area F - West Howe Sound - Mark Hiltz elected

Results from across the province are available on Civic Info.

Gambier Island Local Trust Area - see Islands Trust website.

Information for Candidates

The Province of British Columbia has uploaded a collection of information for potential candidates.

The Province has also partnered with the Local Government Leadership Academy, Local Government Management Association and the Union of BC Municipalities to produce some videos to help answer questions about local government and serving as an elected official.

Campaign Financing
Elections BC oversees campaign financing and third party advertising rules.  Local governments have responsibility for administering voting and accepting candidate nomination forms. For answers to questions about the Local Elections Campaign Financing Act (i.e. election advertising, third party advertising sponsors and campaign financing rules), please contact Elections BC toll free at 1-855-952-0280; or by email at . Elections BC has also developed a Guide to Local Elections Campaign Financing in BC, as well as the Third Party Sponsor Guide to Local Elections in BC.

Information for Voters

Am I Eligible to Vote?
If eligible, you may vote in a local election in the Sunshine Coast Regional District (SCRD) or the Gambier Island Local Trust Area as either a resident elector or as a non-resident property elector - someone who owns property in the jurisdiction but lives somewhere else in BC. This guide answers a few of the basic questions about local government elections in British Columbia.

Am I on the Voter’s List?
The Sunshine Coast Regional District uses the Provincial Voters' List as its List of Resident Electors.  If you have previously registered as a non-resident property elector, you will continue to be registered as an elector. 

Can I Register to Vote on Voting Day?
If you are not on the List of Electors, but qualify to vote, you may register on voting day at your designated voting place.

To register at the voting place, you must provide election staff with two pieces of identification (ID).  The ID must prove who you are and where you live. At least one piece must have your signature on it. If your ID does not show your residential address, you can make a "solemn declaration" as to your residency. Examples of acceptable forms of identification include:

BC Driver's License Utility Bill
Social Insurance Card Property Tax Notice
ICBC Vehicle Insurance Documents BC CareCard or Gold CareCard
BC Identification Card Citizenship Card
Credit Card  

Non-resident Property Owners Registration to Vote
Non-resident property owners may also register at the time of voting; however advance registration is encouraged. 

You can apply to register as a Non-Resident Property Elector at the Sunshine Coast Regional District Office, located at 1975 Field Road, Sechelt, during regular office hours, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm, Monday to Friday, excluding statutory holidays. You will be asked to provide two pieces of identification and proof that you are the registered owner of the property.  If the property is owned jointly with other individuals, you must also have the written consent of the majority of the owners to vote as the non-resident property elector. An application to register as a non-resident property elector must be completed.

Where do I Vote?
Voting place locations will be advertised in local newspapers and posted here, once an election has been declared by the Chief Election Officer.

Mail Ballots
Mail ballot voting will be available to electors with a physical disability, illness or injury that affects their ability to vote at any voting opportunity, OR for electors who expect to be absent from the SCRD on all voting days.  An Application Form for mail ballot voting is available. Requests must be submitted in writing before 4:00 p.m. on Thursday, two days prior to the election and must include full name, residential address,  address of the property in relation to which they are voting (for non-resident property electors), and  method of delivery of the mail ballot package. 

Requests can be sent to the attention of the Chief Election Officer at 1975 Field Road, Sechelt V0N 3A0, or by fax to 604-885-7909 or by email to 

To be counted for the election, mail ballots must be received by the Chief Election Officer by 8:00 p.m. on General Voting Day. 


Any inconsistency with the Local Government Act is unintentional and for accuracy, reference should be made to that Act. Official election notices will be published in the Coast Reporter newspaper.

Archived Election Results and Statistics