Sitemap Close
My SCRD Online


Local government elections in British Columbia are held every four years. The next election will be held on Saturday, October 15, 2022 with advance voting opportunities on October 5 and 12. Within the Sunshine Coast Regional District (SCRD), voters in each Electoral Area choose one Director to serve on the SCRD Board. Ballots for School Trustees (Trustee Electoral Areas 1 - Upper and 3 - Lower) and for Local Trustees for the Gambier Island Local Trust Area are made available at SCRD voting places where applicable.

Information for Candidates

The Province of British Columbia has uploaded a collection of information for potential candidates.

The Province has also partnered with the Local Government Leadership Academy, Local Government Management Association and the Union of BC Municipalities to produce some videos to help answer questions about local government and serving as an elected official.

The Ministry of Municipal Affairs has recently updated their video series for candidates who are thinking of running for office.

Campaign Financing
Elections BC oversees campaign financing and third party advertising rules.  Local governments have responsibility for administering voting and accepting candidate nomination forms. For answers to questions about the Local Elections Campaign Financing Act (i.e. election advertising, third party advertising sponsors and campaign financing rules), please contact Elections BC toll free at 1-855-952-0280; or by email at .

Elections BC has also developed a Guide to Local Elections Campaign Financing in BC. Further information on Third Party Sponsors can be found here on the Elections BC website. 

Information for Voters

Am I Eligible to Vote?
If eligible, you may vote in a local election in the Sunshine Coast Regional District (SCRD) or the Gambier Island Local Trust Area as either a resident elector or as a non-resident property elector - someone who owns property in the jurisdiction but lives somewhere else in BC. This guide answers a few of the basic questions about local government elections in British Columbia.

Am I on the Voter’s List?
The Sunshine Coast Regional District uses the Provincial Voters' List as its List of Resident Electors.  If you have previously registered as a non-resident property elector, you will continue to be registered as an elector. 

Can I Register to Vote on Voting Day?
If you are not on the List of Electors, but qualify to vote, you may register on voting day at your designated voting place.

To register at the voting place, you must provide election staff with two pieces of identification (ID).  The ID must prove who you are and where you live. At least one piece must have your signature on it. If your ID does not show your residential address, you can make a "solemn declaration" as to your residency. Examples of acceptable forms of identification include:

BC Driver's License Utility Bill
Social Insurance Card Property Tax Notice
ICBC Vehicle Insurance Documents BC CareCard or Gold CareCard
BC Identification Card Citizenship Card
Credit Card  

Non-resident Property Owners Registration to Vote
Non-resident property owners may also register at the time of voting; however advance registration is encouraged. 

You can apply to register as a Non-Resident Property Elector at the Sunshine Coast Regional District Office, located at 1975 Field Road, Sechelt, during regular office hours, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm, Monday to Friday, excluding statutory holidays. You will be asked to provide two pieces of identification and proof that you are the registered owner of the property.  If the property is owned jointly with other individuals, you must also have the written consent of the majority of the owners to vote as the non-resident property elector. An application to register as a non-resident property elector must be completed.

Where do I Vote?
Voting place locations will be advertised in local newspapers and posted here, once an election has been declared by the Chief Election Officer.


Any inconsistency with the Local Government Act is unintentional and for accuracy, reference should be made to that Act. Official election notices will be published in the Coast Reporter newspaper.

Archived Election Results and Statistics