Recreation Services During Covid
This page provides information you need to know about SCRD Recreation Services during the COVID-19 Pandemic. Please check often because this page is frequently updated.
The SCRD Recreation is following direction from the Provincial Health Office closely, however there is still a risk of contracting COVID-19 in the recreation facilities. If you have underlying health conditions, you may want to consider carefully if you are willing to take this risk.
Recreation users will be required to show proof of vaccinations to access some SCRD recreation activities. They must show their BC Vaccine Card and a piece of corresponding I.D. These cards may be presented on a piece of paper or on a smartphone. Staff will be confirming that the name on the vaccine card and corresponding I.D. match.
By October 24, you must be fully vaccinated. Please visit the BC Provincial Government website for more information about this order from the Provincial Health Officer.
Vaccine Card Check Required:
- All individuals (12 yrs +) participating in physical activities (e.g. weight room, fitness classes, courts, arena programs)
- NEW All individuals (12 yrs +) participating in public skating and drop-in hockey programs
- All recreational programs and activities with 50+ participants
- All events that attract spectators (12 yrs +)
- Any spectator (12 yrs +) attending an indoor sport activity at a recreation centre.
- Adult volunteers assisting with youth programs - An adult who has not received two doses of vaccine must not lead, supervise or assist with a program for children or youth, whether the program takes place inside or outside
- Discretionary activities as more information and details are released by the Provincial Health Officer
Vaccine Card Not Required:
- Swimming pools (including aquafit)
- Happy Hearts Plus Cardiac Rehabilitation Program
- Youth specific (under 22 years) sport and recreational activities
- Parents attending to drop their children off
Failure to produce a vaccine card (or listed alternatives above) and I.D. for activities requiring a vaccine card check will result in staff refusing access. Further information from the Province on vaccine cards can be found here.
Masks Are Required in Indoor Public Settings
A new order from the provincial health officer will require people 5 years old and older to wear masks in indoor public settings, which includes recreation facilities, regardless of vaccination status. Read more about this.
Masks are required in common areas of sport and fitness centres when not engaged in physical activity.
People who cannot wear a mask or who cannot put on or remove a mask without the assistance of others are exempt. A person may not be able to wear a mask for a psychological, behavioural or health condition, or due to a physical, cognitive or mental impairment.
SCRD Communicable Disease Prevention Guidelines are in place and the SCRD is prepared to implement any recommendations or orders from the Provincial Health Office. The following safety measures remain in place:
Stay home if you are sick!
Before visiting recreation facilities or attending programs, participants and staff are asked to do a self-check and stay home if experiencing any symptoms. If you are sick, contact Health Link BC at 811. Any participants displaying symptoms will be kindly asked to leave for the collective safety of everyone.
Hand Hygiene & Regular Cleaning
Hand disinfectant will be provided at all programs and indoor spaces. Please use it frequently. Disinfecting spray or wipes will be available in indoor spaces. Please use before and after using any equipment. Avoid touching your face wherever possible.
We have increased the frequency of cleaning in the recreation facilities. High touch areas will be cleaned frequently and extra time is scheduled between activities for additional cleaning.
We need you to:
- Stay home if you are sick.
- Wear a mask when you come to the recreation facilities - applicable to ages 5 years old and older.
- Please wash your hands frequently while in the facility. Hand disinfectant is provided for all programs.
- Disinfect equipment before and after use.
- Enjoy your program!
Get the latest recreation updates sent straight to your inbox by signing up for our recreation e-newsletter.